Thursday, July 5, 2012

Wednesday, July 4, 2012


July 4th 2012- Cape Tribulation

My one word to describe the day: Freedom

It is safe to say that this is the longest Independence Day I have ever experienced.  Starting out at 1 PM on July 2nd, I left my house with my family to the journey to JFK. Minus my mom’s shoe breaking in the airport, it was a smooth ride to the terminal.  Clare and I had no idea what to expect, but we were getting in our last good-bye texts.  Fast forward through July 3rd and this is what you get:

First plane 5PM- To LAX… not too bad, 5 hours, read.
Second plane 3AM eastern to Sydney… 15 hours later.
A bus ride and 3rd plane later… Cairns  July 4th 2:30 PM
Car rental, realized it was stick shift, return car, drive new car to Cape Tribulation…7 PM!!!!!

Clare and I decided from the start that we would start our journey off a little early by traveling into “the sticks” as the Aussie’s call it.  Cape Tribulation is on the northern tip of the east coast.  It is defined as the point where the Daintree Rainforest meets the Great Barrier Reef.  After getting in the rental car and bracing ourselves for the last leg of our journey, I breathed a sigh of relief.  I felt confident in my driving skills until the rental car worker said, you know you drive on the opposite side of the road, right?  Oh yes, I replied, not that bad. 

Between the “stay left” reminders from Clare and trying to maneuver my way through rotary after rotary, we finally saw the incredible Pacific on our right and immediately pulled over to admire the beach.  Rather than barbecues and parties, I was experiencing freedom at its finest. 



Well, everything was going perfectly smoothly until we realized that the sun set at around 6, and we would soon begin the imminent journey into the jungle.  Two hands on the wheel and two hours later, we were on a ferry crossing the Daintree River.  With no GPS and only following road signs, I was sure that our final destination of Cape Trib Beach House was so close.  About an hour and a half later, and in the pitch black, I started envisioning Criminal Minds scenes.  I was driving under canopies, palm trees, and thick jungle.  But bridge after bridge, cassowary crossing sign after cassowary crossing sign, we spotted a dirt road leading to the beach house restoring our hopes of ever sleeping again,  At 7:01 PM we knocked on the door of reception, just as they were closing!  Luckily we received our key, and dragged our luggage one last time into our room.


After a delicious pumpkin salad dinner at Cape Trib beach house, I sit in our luxurious abode and write this.  I am so thankful to be given this opportunity and so lucky to be free to explore the unknown.  Alarm is set for 6:30 AM tomorrow.  Hope I can dodge jet lag and enjoy paradise.

1 comment:

  1. "started picturing criminal minds scenes.." classic. That picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete