Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday, July 5, 2012


Thursday, July 5, 2012

My one word to describe the day:  breathtaking

Starting from the moment I woke up, this day was absolutely breathtaking.  Getting our 7 AM start, we headed to reception to plan out our tours for the next two days.  After much assistance from our girl reception Renelle, we planned a morning hike to Mt. Sorrow, an afternoon fruit tasting, and a night-walk crocodile tour.  For Friday, jungle surfing was booked, but hopefully someone would cancel and then we would paddle kayak the sunset.  I was so excited to begin all of this, except I forgot to take into account that I may eventually get tired.

Clare and I drove to the entrance of Mt. Sorrow, where we saw that the hike to the top was about 3.5 km of very steep climbing.  I’m not an experienced hiker but I like to think I am in good running shape, so I started out confident and ready.  Another couple was just behind us and were really nervous, but I couldn’t see why at the moment.  Whether my adrenaline wore out or my jet lag kicked in, my breath was officially taken.  I was breathing heavily and also sliding everywhere on the rocky trail of the rainforest.  The only thing pushing me forward were the incredible views, fan palms, vines, and untouched beauty of the jungle.  After climbing trees, ropes, and rocks, it was safe to say that not even Shaun T. from insanity could prepare me for the climb to the summit.  But when I reached the top, the last of my breath was officially taken.  The view over the Daintree rainforest and Pacific Ocean was timeless and really made me appreciate how lucky I am to be able to experience this sight.  On the way down I only fell four times, once swinging into a bush and screaming, while Clare happily pranced down the mountain.




Upon our return to reception, we switched a few of our tours around due to cancellations and no openings.  The plan was to go kayaking and then the night walk.  However, after lunch, the wind really started kicking in, so kayaking was not a safe option.  We were still pumped for the night walk, and we decided to wait out the hours we had taking a nap.  Our tour guide Brett picked us up, who strikingly resembled my boy Steve Irwin in an all khaki uniform.  We walked on a trail similar to the hike in the morning, just more level.  We got to see an endangered species of frog and learn all about the wildlife, but unfortunately no crocs or cassowaries were spotted.  But don’t worry; I fell in a river to provide some entertainment.  To my defense, it was pitch black. 

That’s all for now!  Tomorrow morning brings sunrise, jungle surfing, and exotic fruit tasting. J

2 comments:

  1. SHAUN T HAHAHAH please don't die falling into croc infested waters please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cayla-
    I'm glad to see you are being your graceful self!!! Sounds like an awesome adventure! We are leaving tomorrow for New Hampshire-now I may be the one without service. We will miss you like crazy but being in Australia is not too shabby! I love you. Please drive safely. Glad you are having fun :) I'm doing all the assignments you left me!! Can't wait to read your next adventure.
    Love-
    Mom

    ReplyDelete