Friday, July 13, 2012

Gerringong

Friday, July 13, 2012

On Thursday night I left for Gerringong with Marcella and Mr. Bell.   They said it was beautiful but I had no idea what to expect.  Their family has owned a house there for years and actually Mr. Bell's grandfather was the mayor of Gerringong.  Their house was formerly the Gerringong golf clubhouse.  It was about a two hour drive, and when we got there I could hear the water from the beach right outside their window but I couldn't see it!  After a night of playing cards and laughing, we rolled out our sleeping bags and went to bed.

The next morning when I woke up I was so amazed that the entire view of the beach and ocean was right outside their windows.  I decided to go run on the beach for sunrise around 6:45.  When I walked down the hill to the beach I was utterly amazed.  I took off my shoes and ran the length of the beach while the sun came up.  I spotted some surfers and enjoyed mother nature for an hour.  I really have never seen anything so beautiful.

The Bell's House from Behind and View
Mr. Bell cooked us breakfast after that and we headed out for a walk by the rocks on the beach.  It was probably a 1/2 mile walk through shells and cliffs which gave me some closeups to starfish and other creatures.  There was even a salt water pool on the beach barricaded by a stone wall.  We sat on a bench and watched these fisherman drag their tuna into the water, which was about the size of me.  We then walked up a steep hill to the cemetery and ended up at a whale watching post.  We then headed out because we needed to cram everything in this one day!

Our first stop was at a local bakery, where we each had a coffee.  After that, we headed to the wildlife park so I could see koalas!  I bought a food bag to feed the animals and pushed all the little children aside so I could go first. Just kidding! (maybe).  After feeding the goats, llamas, and wallabies, we watched a little of a reptile show. I unfortunately pet some large snakes but also got to see really awesome iguanas.  Some of the other animals we saw were capuchin monkeys, kookaburras, emus, wombats, cassowaries, camels, water buffalo, dingoes, and a crocodile.  I have to say that the emus were the most terrifying.  They stare at you like they're going to attack and Marcella and I screamed and sprinted away as one ran towards us.  Of course I needed to pet a koala so we headed to the show at 2 PM.  The trainer explained that they eat the eucalyptus tree leaves which has an intoxicating effect on the koalas.  She also told us to smell the koala, Henry, and he actually smelt like beautiful flowers! I got my picture taken with Henry and was so excited!
Surfer at Werri Beach Sunrise

After my immature showing at the zoo, Mr. Bell wanted to keep going to show me the rest of Gerringong.  Apparently it is tradition to have an Australian meat pie, which is similar to chicken pot pie.  I was a little hesitant and started to go for the veggie but Mr. Bell looked a little disappointed in me so I sucked it up.  And plus when I found out you're supposed to put "tomato sauce" or ketchup on them, I was sold.  It was actually very tasty!  After a long day, we headed home.  So far this was my favorite part.




More Beautiful Scenery

Marcella and I
Bernadette Feeding a Goat


When we got home, Marcella and I got ready to go out with her friends to Newtown, which is a town with streets similar to Thayer Street in Rhode Island.  We took the train in from Homebush and met her friends at a Thai Restaurant.  There were about 3 Thai restaurants for every block, I was amazed.  I was also staring at the fashion everyone has.  It seems like every younger Australian is very fashion forward! At the restaurant there were seven of us in all and they were all extremely nice!  I had some quarters and nickels floating around in my bag and when her friends saw them they each wanted American money.  It was hilarious.  After sitting at the restaurant for almost 3 hours, we headed out to a few places to meet more friends.
Henry & Me!

Right now I am sitting by the Bell's pool in the sun.  We're heading into the city today to look around and see some more sites.  Tomorrow brings Bondi Beach as well!

1 comment:

  1. Two things

    1. There's no maybe about it I know you pushed those little kids out of the way. Im thinking of my super bowl party like 6 or 7 years ago when you ripped the ball out of my cousins hand HAHAHA

    2. All I can think of is mr. Peterson. Kookaberra sits in the old gum tree counting all the gum drops he can see laugh Kookaberra laugh Kookaberra gay your life must be.

    ReplyDelete