Wednesday, July 11, 2012

One Week Until Honiara

Thursday, July 12, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEAG! I miss all my friends so much and hope they are enjoying the warm weather.  I am currently sitting in my room in the Bell's house with a long sleeve, sweater, scarf, and a heater blowing on me!

Clare and I with Sister Rose Mary the Great!
Today was not too busy so far, but good to get some down time.  This morning the Vosila's drove Clare and me to Winton to meet with Sister Rose Mary one more time before the Solomon's.  She is a wonderful lady and so knowledgeable about the country.  Together we mapped out some of my program, which is just tentative.  Solomon plans can change in an instant and we joked that oftentimes there is a plan a, b, c, and d.  So far, I will be arriving in Honiara, Guadalcanal and will be greeted by Sister Matrina at the airport.  From there, Clare and I will go our separate ways for one week, as she travels with Sister Katie to St. Joseph's in Tenaru and I travel with Sister Vero to Visale.  I believe the transportation is in the back of a truck, so I am prepared for the bumpy ride (at least on land).  While I am with Sister Vero, I am supposed to be shadowing her and visiting the local nurses and clinics, assisting with patients as needed.  When I switch with Clare and travel to Tenaru, I will be in Sister Katie's own clinic, as she is an R.N.  I can hardly believe I will be in tropical weather in just a week and delving into work.  After Guadalcanal for a week, Clare and I will travel by ferry (uh oh) for about 5 hours to reach Auki on Malaita Province.  I am DEFINITELY buying seasickness medication for that ride.  I'm pretty sure the ferry is a little different than the one I took yesterday around Sydney Harbor, and I am prepared to be paddling and hopping from canoe to canoe.  In Auki, I will helping Bishop Chris Cardone O.P., a former PC grad, on his pastoral care missions and perhaps even join him in bushwalking to the clinics in the middle of the island.  I also believe I will be assisting with some Home Ec. classes teaching the kindergarteners learn about nutrition, hygiene, and diabetes while Clare teaches them sports.

After bidding my farewells to Sister Rose Mary, I came back to the house and ran a few errands with Mr. Bell for his cafe.  We delivered the supplies and had lunch as usual! (I'm becoming a regular).  Right now I am just packing for our little vacation to Gerringong for tonight and tomorrow.  Apparently the Bell's have a family house right on the beach and are set in a little town with many shops and restaurants.  We are leaving around six tonight with Marcella and meeting Bernadette and Ryan down there.  Clare is going about five hours south to ski today, so we each have our little excursions.  I am so excited and grateful the Bell's want to show me as much as they can of Sydney.  Next post I will recount my stay in Gerringong!


No comments:

Post a Comment