Thursday, July 5, 2012

Surfin the Jungle


Friday, July 6th 2012

My one word to describe the day: Sweet!

Clare and I decided to wake up for the sunset, and we were pretty wide awake around 6:30.  We went to the beach, but unfortunately it was hazy and we couldn’t see much.  Sitting on a tree branch observing the view was incredible nonetheless.  Because we were up, we decided to grab a quick breakfast before jungle surfing.  Basically my favorite thing in the entire world is now a cereal called museli.  It is a trail mix/granola combo with yogurt and dried fruit.  Sweet!

Jungle surfing was also an experience.  We were picked up by one of the guides and he explained he originally came from England and is studying marine biology.  The people we are meeting in Cape Tribulation are from all over the world and are very extreme travelers.  Some of our other guides were from Canada and Wales, who just wanted to travel and ended up working there because they ran out of money.  Eventually we arrived and got all harnessed in.  Each of the helmets had a different name on it; Clare’s being “The Hulk” and mine “Rambo”.. fitting? Finally we hiked up to the first platform.  It was then that I felt yesterday’s Mt. Sorrow hike in my legs!  I didn’t know if I could make it but I was so excited to just swing through the jungle.  After twists and turns and even zip lining upside down, it is safe to say that this excursion was sweet!

We are just taking a break now and getting ready for our fruit tasting tour at 1:30!  I really cannot get enough of Cape Tribulation and the rainforest.  It is so peaceful and the people who live and work here are so welcoming.  I will never get sick of the “Goo’day” mates each morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment