Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sydney Homestay!


Monday, July 9, 2012

Today was the long awaited day for my arrival in Sydney!  Clare and I were feeling much better from our journey yesterday and woke up early to pack up before our flight.  We headed down for breakfast and then caught a cab to the airport.  We are becoming serious pros through security and before we knew it we were waiting for our plane from Cairns to Sydney.  After a walk around the airport we headed on the plane and both read until we landed in Sydney!

Clare’s homestay family, the Vosilas, picked us both up and had our names on a sign at the baggage claim.  Rachel is 21 and was immediately so welcoming and friendly.  As an only child she was so excited to show Clare and me around the city!  It was also fabulous to be picked up by a family instead of jumping in a shady vehicle or driving again.

Their family dropped me off at my family’s house, the Bells, and Clare and I bid our final goodbyes.  She was such a good travel companion the past week and I couldn’t imagine us being apart! Marcella, 21, and Bernadette, 15, greeted me.  They helped me with my bags and showed me my room.  They also invited me out to lunch with their friends and Mrs. Bell came home to greet me!  We headed out to a sushi place that had the rolls on a train at the bar.  We ate and chatted about America and Australia and my travels so far.  We also stopped at their café down the street that Mr. Bell owns.  He is a chef, and frankly, I am so lucky! 

After lunch and more warm welcomes, I watched TV with Bernadette and Marcella.  Mrs. Bell started on dinner and we all ate, including their older brother who came over, a couple of hours later.  The Bells are a family of 6 children.  Two live in London, one in Cambodia teaching, the oldest near the house, and Marcella and Bernadette at home going to school. 

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Still on my jet-lag schedule, I woke up early to go for a jog around their block.  The houses here are European inspired and intricately designed.  The weather was a bit damp and perfect for running.  I got ready and headed to breakfast at the café with Marcella, Bernadette, and two friends, one who was moving to London that day! He quizzed me on all different American and Australian celebrities and even hilariously quoted the hills.   I ordered a delicious egg white omeleete and asked for a coffee and everyone laughed.  Apparently they do either a long black or a short black.  Their coffee is much less in volume but stronger.  They let me know that they think all Americans drink Starbucks huge coffees, have straight teeth, and have met celebrities.  Even though our cultures are so similar, it is so interesting listening to their perspective on the US.

 After that, I headed out to Winton, which is part of Santa Sabina Dominican School.  I finally got to meet Sister Rose Mary who organized this fellowship along with Father Robb and whom I’ve emailed extensively over this past year.  Sitting in her kitchen with two other school associates talking was incredible, just to hear about their history and the history of the Solomon’s.  Despite being FREEZING they filled up my coffee cup about 3 times so I couldn’t complain.  Sister Rose Mary showed us the Dominican Archives as well as the Solomon Island Room.  All the artifacts made me extremely excited to travel there.  The crafts they brought back were designed perfectly and it is amazing to think that jus tout of tree bark they can weave a straw mat or handbag.  We also planned out some of our program while we are there and went over some safety regulations.  Less is more in the Solomon’s, pack light clothing, and make sure to wash it in the ocean there to reuse.  Clare and I realized our medical supplies were a little short after we found out that even the simplest cut can get infected and all open wounds must be covered right away.  I think that being careful and also making the most of every moment is my current plan and I hope to stick with it.

After my meeting, Clare and I headed out to pick up a few things at the “Westfield” (mall) with Rachel, like water bottles and antiseptic solution. The mall was smaller than ours and even had a fish market inside.  After that I headed home to watch a much-anticipated show on TV with Marcella and Bernadette called “Being Lara Bingle.”  It was honestly an Australian version of the Kardashians.  Lara was a tourist model for Australia but apparently fell to the B-list.  The premise of the show is her trying to make it to L.A. to model.  We laughed at her ditzy comments and it reminded me of something my friends and I would do.  Mrs. Bell came home late from a conference with doctors but we caught up on my day when she got back.  Marcella and I watched TV until we dozed off on the couch.  Tomorrow brings another day in this country I never want to leave!







Displays from the Solomon Archives at Winton

1 comment: